Monday, October 7, 2013

Ombre's at Bijou salon








om·bré

adjective \ˈäm-ˌbrā\

Definition of OMBRÉ

:  having colors or tones that shade into each other —used especially of fabrics in which the color is graduated from light to dark
ombré noun

Origin of OMBRÉ

French, past participle of ombrer to shade, from Italian ombrare, from ombra shade, from Latin umbra — more at umbrage
First Known Use: 1893
I can't seem to find the year that the Ombre trend started.  I remember someone calling and asking for it, we googled it.  Seemed easy enough (in theory)...Let me attest, after that first one, we booked several classes.  I can safely say, we have Ombre experts at Bijou Salon in Skaneateles!  We've done so many, that, last week I heard a customer who was there from East Syracuse, saying she heard we were the best at Ombre's!  (What a compliment!)  After I heard her say that, I got to thinking..hmm...Monday BLOG POST idea!  (You really can't imagine how many times a day I say that;)
 
So thinking about Ombre's, I started to research who started them.  Who was the first celebrity (you know it always starts there, Ombre...The "Jennifer Aniston" haircut, etc.  I recall my favorite celebrity - Drew Barrymore!  (I remember seeing it and thinking, Oh is she just being lazy?  Then when I heard it was called the Ombre, I thought...hmmm a fancy word for growing out your roots, genius!)  But really I couldn't find a definite answer on when the trend was started and who started it.  Hmm, I guess the internet doesn't have all the answers.  (Or more likely, I just couldn't dig deep enough:)



Have Ombre's always existed?    It appears so, I mean look around...flowers, grass, trees..rocks...I think if you look hard enough, just like with any artist inspiration, you can see things around you that were inspired by natural Ombre's.

Then the Ombre trend just exploded and it appears that in one way or another it will stick around.

Look at all the amazing things done with this technique...(I'm very partial the sequined purple ombre dress, some of our high school Juniors this year should look into that!)

Here are some ombre's we have done over the years...JUST a FEW!








WHILE OMBRE'S can be stunning...They can also be disastrous!  THIS is why you should always seek a professional.  I'm not kidding when I said we had to learn the technique, it can be done so many different ways and we've had countless classes on perfecting it!  Scroll to the bottom to see OMBRE DON'TS!



 


Okay you've seen the good...now for just a couple bad's...do not try this at home kids.. you could end up like this!

0 comments: